From its beginning in 1869, as a private institution in rented space, our library has grown in size, stature and service. In 1927, Wicomico County made it an official, tax-supported public service free to all residents. And since that time, the
library has grown to where we can boast of the following:
- 55% of Wicomico County residents have a library card.
- More than 650,000 items are checked out each year.
- Library services are available at two branches and the Bivalve Station.
- Your bookmobile travels the entire county, four days a week.
Being a Friend shows your commitment to the library, its programs, and services. Your friendship demonstrates to community leaders a continuing base of support.
The Friends of the Wicomico Public Library support the library:
- Through fundraising & advocacy.
- By raising awareness of the Library as a community educational institution.
- By helping to provide events that are of interest to a diverse community.
What Friends Do:
- Send letters of support for the library.
- Attend council meetings
- Host book sales
- Purchase furniture and other needed items for the Library
- Sponsor events and programs
Individual Membership: $10
- Entrance into the Friends Only Early Bird Book Sale and a 50% discount at those Early Bird Book Sales.
- Opportunity to purchase presale tickets for the Light of Literacy Awards Breakfast
- Opportunities to support the Library in ways that meet your individual talents and desires
Individual Membership PLUS: $20
All the benefits of the Regular Individual membership PLUS a ticket for the Light of Literacy Awards Breakfast on Thursday, April 11, 2013 (a $15 value)
Business Memberships: $25
- Entrance for up to 2 individuals from your business to the Friends Only Early Bird Book Sale and a 50% discount at those Early Bird Book Sales
- A business card ad in one issue of the Library’s newsletter
- Opportunities to support the Library in ways that meet your individual talents and desires including first opportunity for business participation in the Light of Literacy Awards
If you wish to become a friend please download and fill out our brochure. Choose your level of membership and please make checks payable to the Wicomico Public Library and put "Friends Membership" in the memo line.